Over the last few years Teignbridge District Council along with the support from the Friends of Homeyards Botanical Gardens have been working on a project to:
- Refurbish the Italian Garden
- Restore the castle, reinstating roof, windows and doors making this a useable space so that people/groups will be able to hire out this area. There will also be some tree works as part of this refurbishment.
- Improve access to the gardens by creating a drop off zone and disabled parking, some pathway improvements and wheelchair access to the castle.
- Interpretation material on site, along with a portable display for the museum.
- A Community Heritage Gardener will be recruited to work in the gardens and with the volunteer program for 3 years.
- Activities for the community/local school will include, volunteer program, events, walks and talks on site and a tree trail
We now have some of the funding in place, and the Friends are doing additional funding as part of the match funding for the community input, once this is in place we can then begin the project. On Saturday 7th March 2015 2-4pm there is an opportunity for you to come along to Homeyards to look at the plans and meet myself and the Project Team. If you can’t make this day we will also be in the gardens for the Easter event on 2nd April 10am – 12noon.
We hope you can make it.
Environment and Leisure
Teignbridge District Council